Bucks County Family Law

Frequently Asked Questions

If I only want a simple divorce, do I need a lawyer?

Hiring an attorney for your divorce is advised. While some divorces can be simple, divorcees more often than not discover during litigation there are more problems in their divorce than they initially thought. Issues such as children, their house, and the division of assets, for example, are far more complex and emotionally taxing than they had hoped. An attorney can help you navigate these matters efficiently so you can spend time on the non-legal aspects of your divorce.

Can’t I just proceed Pro Se (divorce without an attorney)?

Absolutely! Under Pennsylvania law, parties in a divorce are able to proceed pro se — that is, without an attorney — if they wish. There are significant drawbacks to doing so, however. Studies have shown that spouses filing for divorce without an attorney often fail to efficiently proceed with the divorce and can remain in legal proceedings for months, if not years. Further, the other aspects of a divorce, such as custody, are not simple matters. You are at greater risk of an unfavorable ruling if you are not represented by an attorney.

Can I hire an attorney for only part of my divorce?

Yes! Parties can retain counsel for only a part of their divorce rather than the entire divorce if you wish. You and your attorney will need to discuss this and specify in your fee agreement what portion of the divorce they will represent you on.

What fee arrangements are available for family law attorneys?

Typically, attorneys in Pennsylvania are retained under one of three fee arrangements. The arrangements can be per hour, a contingency fee, or a flat fee. Under Pennsylvania law, however, attorneys representing clients in domestic relations cases are not permitted to be retained under a contingency fee. As such, if you have a family law issue in Pennsylvania your options are either per hour or a flat fee.

Will I have to go to court to get a divorce?

No! Parties often resolve their divorce outside of court. When this occurs, they are permitted to draft a proposed order and submit it for court approval. Should they agree to the provisions, that proposed order will be turned into an order and no hearing will be necessary. Any remaining issues not covered by the agreement can either be resolved outside of court or discussed at a conference or conciliation before going to hearing.

I already have a final court order, but my circumstances have changed. Am I stuck with the order?

No! Under Pennsylvania law, parties are permitted to modify an order. Whether your issue involves support, custody, or a different family law issue, you can seek to have the existing order changed. You are not guaranteed to have your request granted, but an attorney can greatly improve the odds it does get approved.

I have a temporary order. Is it final?

No! Temporary orders are granted so that parties have some legal assistance while their case is pending. The temporary order may not be the final order. Your attorney can help explain to the court why the temporary order is not the optimal resolution to your case.

How can I contact you?

You can contact me here. I invite you to contact me and schedule your consultation. Your initial consultation is free of charge. I look forward to hearing from you!

Lauren D’Alessandro

Lauren Anthony D'Alessandro's Profile Image
Lauren is located in Newtown, Pennsylvania and provides legal services for Bucks County, Philadelphia County, and Montgomery County. She specializes in family law and provides services for a whole range of family law matters. Whether you are seeking…

Read More About Lauren

Schedule a Free Consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.